Welcome to our Valentines Day edition! I hope Valentines Day is everything you could wish for, a time when love is in the air, and also a time for enjoying delicious food together. A box of chocolates is always nice, but what better way to show someone you care than by whipping up something tasty and unique?
The dessert I have chosen to share with you this month can be enjoyed as a decadent snack, which is especially nice to treat your special someone. I know everyone will enjoy these Chocolate Caramel Shortbread Bars (Frollini al Cioccolato e Caramello).
1 ½ cups of flour
½ cup of icing sugar
6 oz of butter, softened
1 ¼ cup of semi sweet chocolate, melted
10 fl oz of Caramel sauce (I used Dulce de Leche for this recipe)
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
2. Cut parchment paper to fit a round cake pan or an 8-inch square pan and grease for easy removal. Mix the flour and icing sugar with a whisk to break up any lumps.
3. Add the softened butter and mix into the flour-sugar mixture until it comes together like a dough. Press mixture in an even layer on the bottom of your pan.
4. Bake in the oven for 20-25 minutes.
5. While shortbread is baking, place your caramel on the stove to warm it slowly, taking caution not to let it burn.
6. Melt the chocolate over a double boiler until evenly melted. Let cool slightly.
7. While shortbread cools, gently pour caramel over the shortbread crust. Pour chocolate over the caramel and spread it out, as to completely cover the caramel.
8. Place in refrigerator until set. (About 3-4 hours or preferably overnight).
9. Lift bars out of pan and place on cutting board. Using a hot knife cut into even bars and enjoy!